Art Elements

 I chose the art piece done by Dennis Wojkiewicz, Rosettes Series #16. His work is oil painting on canvas. There is not set date or year that he created this work that I could find. He had created most of his work between the years 1978-1983. I was chosen to this picture by the attention to detail, the visual appeal of how realistic is looks, and because I love Grapefruit.  When I first came across this painting, I thought it was a picture that captured the perfect lighting. This image, I feel, leaves one feeling in awe, almost very surprised. This work of art seems very refreshing or could be part of a picture to a commercial to a refreshing grapefruit beverage. I find that the very realistic aspect to the photo is very eye catching once you realize that this is a painting and not a picture.  There is not much of a backstory or a reason why I chose this art, other than that it has really popped out to me. The only way I can relate to the painting, is that my favorite fruit to enjoy is grapefruit, its one the the first fruits I remember my mother introducing to me at a very young age. 



Lines
The lines in this painting are very symmetrical and the proportions are very equal. Shapes and lines like these are not found in nature, nature can be rather asymmetrical. Although, once you look closer into each segment of the fruit, the lines do become asymmetrical, adding the the realistic image of fruit. 


Shape
The shape is also symmetrical. The outside circular shape where the fruit start and the inside circular shape where the center of the fruit stops. Each segment of the fruit is equal creating a pattern to the slice. 

Color
The iconic pink color of grapefruit is very much the statement of colors. I love the perception of light showing through the slice with the different hues of pink.  The lightness of pink from the top to the darker pink at the bottom gives a very realistic look of the point of light starting at the 12 o'clock position. 

Perspective
There is a very realistic perspective the the grapefruit, but also an unrealistic aspect to it.  The use of color and lightness help to create a look that you are seeing a slice of the fruit with its shadow below it.  The unrealistic aspect is due in part to the lines used or rather the very perfect looking lines to the general shape of it. 

Texture
The texture over all looks the same, there are some textural aspect to the rind of the grapefruit that looks realistic. The segments of the grapefruit does not really look textural but it does leave me thinking of the way grapefruit segments feel while eating it. So, somewhat of a textural reminder. 



References

Dennis Wojtkiewicz. 2021. Work — Dennis Wojtkiewicz. [online] Available at: <https://www.wojtkiewiczart.com/work#/rosettes/> [Accessed 4 February 2021].

Comments

  1. Hi Heather,

    What an interesting piece to introduce to this class! I love it! At first glance I thought this was a stain glass window. The colors and lines are just so beautiful. I feel the artist has rendered the texture of grapefruit perfectly, my mouth started to water while I was looking at it. I felt like I was looking at a slice of grapefruit, stood on its end with a light shining through it. I love how the segments are slightly darker at the bottom and you cannot see the yellowish color of the rind as clearly as you can at the top. I thoroughly enjoyed this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a hobbyist photographer what I see in this painting is the Perfect lighting that would be fun to take pictures of. I also really like how it radiates like a sun. I love the geometric patterns used also and the way he portrays tiny light beams all the way down to the little grapefruit pods.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Blog Post Introduction

Baroque Art