Non-Western Post

 I would like to show case the works of art found through out our great state of Alaska. Our state is vast and wide and also the works of art vary widely from one Culture to the other. I have found the works of art done in the Early 20th centuries and older to be fascinating and interesting to the meaning behind them. I've come across beautiful works of art traveling from one part of the state to the other. And each time has left me in awe of the creativeness of the people there. Life in Alaska can be very harsh and unforgiving, and to see art come through even during the hardest of times is uplifting and encouraging to myself. 


Yup'ik Dance Masks

The Yup'ik peoples of Southwestern Alaska are my people. I've grown up learning about the dance masks I've experienced first hand in observing a dance during one of the potlatch gatherings in our home town. I remember the fear I had when the dancer first came out in front of the drummers, wearing this large, scary mask with many different carvings. The mask is that of a walrus head. It was collected near the village of Chevak, Alaska in 1905. It does not have the artists name or the exact date created. It is part of the collection at the Peabody Museum in Cambridge, Massachusetts. 
The masks are made of wood, stained different colors, not a wide array of colors either. They can be adorned with feathers, teeth of various animals, tanned fur, and even walrus whiskers. These masks were used for shamanic rituals during dances that told stories through the use of song and dance. Depending on the mask, it was usually represented as the animal shown, the dancer would act like the animal. It was not till after the Christian contact from whites came that these dances were stopped because it was seen as devil worship of some sort. Now days, it is not widely practiced or performed during these potlatch gatherings. 


Tlingit


The Tlingit artwork I first expereinced when I traveled to southeast Alaska for training back in 2009. I was taken back by the very distinct red and black and some times blues and yellow figures used to showcase family history. More like family clans, where one individual can be born in one clan and married into another was the best way I understood this meaning. This art work has become very widely accepted and utilized today. The image is of the Teslin Tlingit Council flag. The flag is white with red strips on the top and bottom. The images feature the emblems of each clan. From left to right is the Raven, the Frog, the Wolf, the Beaver, and the Eagle. 
The culture was not completely similar to that of the Yup'ik tribes. But they did have the hunter-gatherer beliefs like Yup'ik tribes, and so they should in order to survive in Alaska. 
The use of the decorated images follow the matrilineal kinship of inheritance and descent is passed through the mother's line. I loved seeing the totem poles carved showing the lineage of that persons house hold, each animal character showed the familial history, a root of belonging that I understand very well.  



Athabascan
personal photo

The Athabascan people and culture come very near and dear to my heart, as my husband and children are part Athabascan. I came to fall in love with the traditions of the Athabascans to this day.  I love seeing all the beautiful beadwork and regalia from many different artists in our city. 
The beadworks of craft wood beads and that of quills and shells have been shown to be in use well before the introduction of Europeans into the Interior Alaska. This practice of beadworks and adorning onto animal hides have evolved beautifully with the introduction of glass bead works and other materials such as material not natural to Alaska. 
The works of art can be found on every day clothing, regalia used for ceremonies, and decorations through out homes. Not only beadworks are found here but also the creations of baskets from birch bark and wood carvings. This dream catcher was created by my sister in-law, she does great work with her suncatchers. Her creations range from large and long suncatchers to small ornaments to be hung on Christmas trees. 
I love seeing new creations of beadwork utilizing materials in different ways that turn into the signature of the artist. I unfortunately do not have the patients or talent to create my own works of art, but rather I love to collect such beauties. 





References:

“Yup - Wikipedia.” En.wikipedia.org, en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yup. Accessed 24 Apr. 2021.

Wikipedia Contributors. “Tlingit.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 19 Nov. 2019, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tlingit.

“Traditional Arts, Traditional Arts, Alaska Kids’ Corner, State of Alaska.” Alaska.gov, alaska.gov/kids/learn/nativearts.htm.

“Teslin Tlingit Council - Yukon (Canada).” Www.fotw.info, www.fotw.info/flags/xa-testc.html. Accessed 24 Apr. 2021.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Blog Post Introduction

Art Elements

Baroque Art